Tuesday 26 January 2021

WABI-SABI : The Japanese Philosophy for a perfectly Imperfect life

 

My son Akshaj used to scribble a lot on the walls with his color pencils which is not a surprise to any of us as they are children and its obvious they do all this stuff ,after all he is just 5 year old now.


However, interesting thing which I have learned from him is, one day I lost my patience and screamed at him ,'Akshaj , this is the last warning to you, just stop spoiling the walls.' His response blew my mind, 'Mamma, I am not scribbling, I am making family picture on this wall, see its you ,me and papa'. When I keenly observed its true I was able to see the drawing of three of us.

All my anger gone for a toss that very second looking at what he drew with his tiny hands that's when I realized the wall is looking more beautiful now with his doodles and squiggles like a puzzle to find a family picture instead of plain pale yellow color wall without any design on it.

I cuddled him, no words just love to my baby boy (this incident happened when he was just 3 year old).

Finding beauty in imperfection is an art and I have learned it.

Later I came to know about this beautiful concept name as 'Wabi Sabi' which means 'Embracing Imperfection and celebrating happy incidents'. This Japanese philosophy encourages us to focus on the blessings hiding in our daily lives, and celebrating the way things are rather than how they should be.

Have a great day with this new learning!

 

7 comments:

  1. Very nice memory..!!!💐

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. How children express their emotions. Very well structured the article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The article reminds me of Avi scribbling on wall.Your article has given a light on the topic of life as to see the things which we are blessed for snd the one we have not.Also,you raised an important point regarding children that we should see even the smallest of their work as an effort to explore life with all their senses.Lovely article.Keep writing more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True Anu. In all these many decades of my life I too understood that no one is perfect nor any life is perfectly perfect, and it's only these imperfections shape a person or life. The more we follow wabi sabi in life, the more we understand and love each other and more importantly it dims our expectations from others. Very well written Anu and I too hope to apply wabi sabi in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for highlighting this so perfectly!! I'm perfectly imperfect and I'm celebrating my imperfections perfectly !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well written Anu.Sure , I will try to apply this rule in my daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very deep lesson of life we often tend to ignore in superficial lifestyle

    ReplyDelete

😊 SMILE